Friday, 2 May 2014

Marvellous Microscope Mania!

As part of our new Unit of Study on 'Living Things' we decided to explore natural items from outside - leaves, flowers, bark from trees, using a digital microscope. Many of K1LaD already knew, or thought they knew, what the word 'microscope' meant. I talked to the class about how something big "macro" can be seen as small "micro" and that the scope was the tool to do this. 

Although I felt confident teaching the children how to use the microscope, I decided to book in a time when our Digital Literacy coach - Mr Caleb - would be able to come and join us. The children were shown how to zoom in, change the strength of the lens (x10, x60 or x200), and take photos of their chosen item. For some children, their faces and expression showed how fascinated and intrigued they were by this experience. Noah even went as far as saying "I'm going to see if I can get one of these for my birthday, it's so cool!".

Here are a small selection of some of the photos the children took using the microscope and iMac:

No comments:

Post a Comment